Wednesday, May 25, 2011

25052011

Inspiration by existence.



Sometimes when I start writing I have no idea of what I'm going to write about. There are no coherent entities in my mind and it feels like I'm just trying to kill time by writing meaningless words. After a few lines, or a few paragraphs in some cases, I get somehow inspired by something and get dragged into the world of words by an imaginary arm. It's a truly odd feeling and I end up writing for a long while before I realize that I hadn't planned to write any of this in the first place. So, where does this come from? This sudden inspiration that carries my fingers around the keyboard of my laptop and presses the letter buttons down in a steady rhythm. What forms the words in my head?

In the world of antique Greece, Zeus and Mnemosyne had nine daughters - the muses. These higher beings were the driving force behind all forms of art and science. Each muse had its own special field of power. Clio in history, Urania in astronomy, Euterpe in music. All of these muses inspired the artists of their field or the researchers of their science towards better results, more beautiful melodies and more powerful words. I can't fit myself into any of the categories that the muses divided between themselves but I suppose Calliope being the muse of epic poetry goes quite well with my writings. They aren't epic nor are they poetry but there is something narrative about my writing. After all, this stream of thoughts is merely me narrating the events inside my head.

I draw the majority of the topics in my texts from my personal life, the emotions I'm dealing with and the thoughts I'm currently processing. Yet, what makes them transform into a textual form? Plain boredom, the simple need to write or something completely else? Could it be that there's something behind my creativity? Something, or someone, who makes the desolated valleys of my head thrive in beautiful flowers that burst out in magnificent colors as words.

I like to think I have a muse of my own in my life - a Calliope of my own. Not just for writing but for everything I do at the moment. Strong feelings created by a muse give strength to everyday life. Every word you speak, every letter you type, every action you make - they all seem more meaningful and more full of power when they're driven by the force of the muse. You become a better person when there's a person in your life who inspires you by just being there for you.

The best part of being driven by a muse is the simplicity that lies behind my inspiration. The existence of my muse is enough to create a warmth in my heart but the simple sight of my muse smiling or hearing her laughter, those are the things that make me feel like I'm able to roll the world off its axis and spin it around my fingers while I'm growing up as a writer, as a man, as a human being.

.on blank sidewalk glittering asphalt somewhere summer days.

No comments:

Post a Comment