Monday, October 31, 2011

31102011

Vaccuuming is like walking in the sand.

As suspected, everything turned out just fine. I got a job as a room attendant (unofficially bed stripper, even more unofficially stripper) at a hotel almost right next doot. I'm doing 5-hour shifts and the job isn't exactly rocket science. The short days are just fine, though. I get enough money to get around, pay for accomodation and food and am left with some savings for casual travelling. Maria got a job today as well – surprisingly at a hotel, too. Everything turned out just fine.

Most of my colleagues are middle-aged Maori women. They are loud, they laugh a lot and talk even more. I can't understand a half of what they are saying but I keep on smiling at them, and they always smile back. Sweet is, bro. You're all good, bro. You'll be fine, bro. Having previously worked with only Finnish people, it's an amazing experience as itself, to work with them, that is.

I wrote in one of my texts something about the amount of information I will acquire during this year, and I have come to realize that the information can actually come from the most unlikely places. 

Cleaners with a decade's experience on their profession know much more about life than your common economics gap year student.Vaccuuming a room is like walking in the sand. You can't leave footprints. You have to start from the back and work your way up to the front, cleaning your own footprints as you take step backwards. Just like sweeping your own footprints from the sand, leaving no trace.

Do not go where the path may lead; go instead where there is no path and leave a trail”. Ralph Waldo Emerson

Sometimes you have to do the opposite. Make sure there is no path and leave no trace; take the risk of walking backwards and you will find your path.

No comments:

Post a Comment