Wednesday, August 31, 2011

31082011

The first stage of homesickness - a single tear is the beginning of a cascade.

The head editor of my student organization published just recently the latest edition of the paper of the organization. The edition is mainly directed towards the starting freshmen. for their guidance and support. The paper featured one article by yours truly (yes, I write some things in Finnish too) on the events of my freshman year. I had an eventful year, to say the least, and there was a lot to write about. I read the article today in the paper, even though I had read it multiple times while writing it. It made me sad.

Up to this day, I have only thought about what I'm gaining from my travels abroad. I haven't really given much thought to what I'm losing by choosing to spend the whole year somewhere else. Leaving events behind, leaving friends behind, leaving memories behind. A single tear rolled down the valleys of my left cheek, leaving a trace of a year spent elsewhere.

I think I'm a man who can stand under a cascade of tears and hold strong. I think my backbone is thick enough to withstand the homesickness, here and abroad. But feeling this nearly infinite melancholy in my heart, I have come to realize that I don't need to be strong alone. It's a miracle of life that I have a someone who will hold my hand and wipe the lost tears away from the sullen streets of my face.

.steep hills of vicodin tears.

No comments:

Post a Comment