Saturday, May 7, 2011

07052011

Under the same roof.

“No good friends, no bad friends; only people you want, need to be with. People who build their houses in your heart.”   

-Stephen King

The modern world and our way of thinking generally leads into evaluating things. Everything we know needs to be either goor or bad or lay somewhere in between. We categorize, we segment, we group, we re-group and we evaluate these divisions of various things. With the presence of social media we have also started categorizing our friends more and more. These are my 'real friends', these are 'just my Facebook -friends', and so forth. Can we judge people and divide them into such groups? Isn't a friend always a friend?

On the 29th of September last year I made a promise never to lie to an important friend of mine. We were barely friends back then. In fact, we had known each other for only a few weeks and our lives were in a constant change. On that night, I was quite drunk and in that moment, I had a huge lump in my throat, preventing the burst of tears. My voice was breaking down with every word that came out of my mouth. I didn't speak to anyone later on that night. The other people whom I were with, had a blast and I was alone, thinking or not thinking, I can't recall. That was the most serious promise I have ever made to a person. Now, over a half year later, I have still kept that promise. How is it possible to promise something like that to a person you've just met when you can't even be honest with the friends you've held on to for years?

I know God works in mysterious ways. You can never tell what's thrown in front of you. You can never know when an angel falls down from the skies right in front of you and smiles so widely and brightly that you thought such a smile couldn't exist. I read somewhere that if you like someone you will promise to grasp all the glittering stars from the dark night sky for them, if you like someone a lot you will promise to harvest the silver moon for them, but if you love someone you won't make any empty promises. Even though such a saying might sound a tad childish, I still like it and it holds a piece of truth in it. There are promises I intend to keep - for love or for something else, that I don't know - because some people deserve a people in their life to whose hands they can trust their whole body onto. 

"I made a promise, Mr Frodo. A promise. 'Don't you leave him Samwise Gamgee.' And I don't mean to. I don't mean to."

-Sam

This quote is something I base my friendship and my love on. If someone has had the courage to build their house inside your heart, the least thing you can promise to do is to be there to open the door for them.

.this is where the rivers coursed my veins.

No comments:

Post a Comment